Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pratibha Patil for President!

I didn't know anything about her, until today morning (that she's the governor of Rajasthan, my state, gives an an idea of how aware I am). But now I can't stop learning about her.

Two tid-bits that impress me:

She won many table-tennis tournaments at regional and national levels. In those days (1960's), and with her background (hardly illustrious), its incredible!

She vetoed Rajasthan's " 'Freedom' of Religion" bill, aimed at controlling religious conversions.

With the latter point, she gets my vote over Shekhawat (the other candidate, also from Rajasthan).

India might just beat the US in having the first female president!

Update (Jun 16) : Pratibha Patil asked for an appointment with Shekhawat, apparently "to seek his blessings". Shekhwat drove down, instead, to meet her himself. Such warm gestures from two mature politicians... I know I have this tendency to get excited and overly optimistic, but yes, I loved this.

1 comment:

himanshu agrawal said...

yup and numbers too are in her favor, they cudn't make sonia gandhi as PM but they surely will make pratibha patil as next president.. let's c..